Vastu Shastra is a traditional Hindu system of architecture which literally translates to "science of architecture. Vastu Shastras incorporate traditional Hindu and in some cases Buddhist beliefs. The designs are intended to integrate architecture with nature. Vastu is the science of directions that combines all the five elements of nature and balance them with the man and the material. Vaastu Shastra is creating a congenial settings or a place to live or work, in most scientific way taking advantages of the benefits bestowed by the five elements called "Paanchbhootas" of the nature thereby paving the way for enhanced health, wealth, prosperity and happiness in an enlightened environment. Vastushastra says that if the structure of your house is so designed that the positive forces override the negative forces, then there is a beneficial release of bio-energy, which helps you and your family members to live a happy and healthy life. A positive cosmic field prevails in a Vastulogically constructed house, where the atmosphere is congenial for a smooth and happy life.
Vastu Shastra is centered on the influence of directions (balancing with earth, water, fire, air, and space as 5 major factors) to the building (and its inhabitants or residents) and the land holding it. There are 4 cardinal directions (East, West, North, and South) and 4 major sub-directions (angled directions between 2 cardinal directions - North-East, North-West, South-East, and South-West). Our Shastra says if we worship, idolize and honour the Lords of these eight directions, people yield eternal blessings in the form of success, health and prosperity. We will now examine their importance according to scriptures.
East: This direction is governed by lord Indra and the energy generated by East Zone facilitates the Social Connectivity. It is the ideal Zone for a Drawing Room.
South East: This direction is governed by lord of fire- Agni. It is the Zone of Cash flow.
South: This direction is of Yama, the god of death. This is the Zone of Fame, Recognition and Social Reputation.
South West: This direction is directed by Niruti. It is the Zone of Skill, Marriage, Family Harmony, Bonding, Stability in life and Relationships.
West: This direction is directed by Lord Varun, the lord of rains. The energy of this Zone ensures your gains and profits.
North West: This place is directed by lord Vayu. The North-West Zone generates the energy that attracts Supportive and Helpful people for any cause you pursue.
North: This direction is governed by Kuber, the god of wealth. Its energy helps you to generate New Opportunities to earn money.
North East: This place is a supervised by lord Eeshaan, It is the Zone of Wisdom, Meditation and Inspiration. In Vastu, this Zone is ideal for Meditation.
Five elements of Vastu Shastra
Vastu are based on directions and five elements.This universe is made up of 5 different elements. The most of the nature and this helps them to have happy, prosperous and peaceful life. It is the balance or imbalance among these Panchtattva that makes one’s Space a virtual heaven or hell. intelligent creature of earth – human being if uses the right balances of all the elements in their house they can get the infinite strength
It is associated with conception of new ideas, clarity of thoughts, creation of new vision, flowing of new opportunities in your life, healing energy, immunity and restoration of health. Water dominates the North direction in buildings.
Air represents growth in your life. It is also associated with movement, especially rotational movement, so it brings refreshment, fun, joy and happiness in life. This element dominates the East. The Chinese call it the Wood element.
Earth gives stability. balance, infinite patience and maturity in character are imbued by this element. Earth dominates the centre and diagonal directions in every built-up Space.
Space represents expansion, enhancement, extension, spread, communication and even thought process (Mental Space). Space dominates the Western direction. The Chinese call it the Metal element owing to perfect space configuration in metals.
Fire is the driving force behind all life processes and thus is equated with money in modern era. It can transform your life with confidence and enthusiasm. South is the direction of Fire.
Primarily basement should be built in Northern or eastern direction of house as according to Vastu principles
Here are some of the basic guidelines for basement:
- About 1/4 of area of basement should be above ground.
- Proper height of a basement should be atleast 9 feet.
- Heavy stuff must not be kept in north or east of the basement.
- Paint your basement with light and subtle colours and avoid dark tints.
- The best use for the basement is nonliving, casual usage. That might involve storing objects. Keeping your home gym, playroom. laundry etc.
- Harmony lies in a properly shaped basement. You must have square and rectangular shaped rooms.And, in essence, the whole basement should have a square and rectangle footprint.
- You can place a window, and get the daylight in. Second, it will help you with moving the air and providing ventilation.
According to Vastu, basement must be avoided – that means you should have no space below your house.
Generally Bathroom and Toilet is the most neglected place in the house about which nobody cares. But these also need attention while deciding their place as they are the major source of negative energy in the home. some tips about the vastu of Bathroom and Toilet for your dream home.
These may be built in the West, South, North-West
Door of the toilet should be on East or North wall.
Shower and taps in bathroom can be fixed on Northern wall.
Mirror can be placed in the Northern or Eastern wall.
Construction of bath rooms and toilets is prohibited in the North-east corner or in the south-west corner.
Prefer light colours for Bathroom and Toilet.
Avoid septic tank in South side of toilet.
Vastu in the bedroom brings peace in the marital life, prosperity, greater level of bonding between the partners, better understanding and stronger love life. Moreover, it gives you sound and healthy sleep that takes away all of your tensions and worries. We spend most of our time in the bedroom, than any other room.
Here are the Vastu tips for bedroom:
- Ideally, the bedroom in a south-west direction brings good health and prosperity.
- The bed should be square or rectangle in shape. The beds of these shapes are considered best.
- The bedroom should be in the southwest or northwest direction of your house. It should not be in the northeast direction of your house.
- Keep your head to the south direction while sleeping. Never sleep keeping your head in the north.
- Heaters, television sets and air conditioner should be placed in the southeast direction.
- Do not place idols, pictures or photo of any deity in the bedroom.
- Paint your bedroom walls in neutral or earthy shades as it radiates positive energy. Avoid painting your walls black.
- Use mood lighting and burn aromatic oils to create an oasis of calm.
- Avoid placing a mirror or television in front of the bed. Your reflection must not be seen in a mirror when in bed as it causes fights and other domestic disruptions.
- Don’t place bed against a toilet wall as it brings bad health.
- Never sleep under an overhead beam.
We all know, children room is the place of fun, play, recreation and education. Therefore, it needs care while placing the things at proper locations within the room so that positive atmosphere can be created.
we have summarized some tips for the children room.
Children room should be placed in the West direction of the house.
- The bed should be placed in the South-west portion of the room so that the child should sleep keeping his head in the South or East direction.
- The position of the entrance should be in the East or North direction and it should not face the bed of the child.
- Furniture should be placed in the South-west direction.
- Use the best quality wood for study table.
- Make sure that the student faces East or North while studying.
- Keep the study table at least 3-4 inches away from wall. A gap in front of the student signifies open space and new ideas come to mind.
- If needed keep a table lamp in the South-East portion of study table.
- Keep the study table clutter free and clean at all times.
- While studying don’t let the student face a blank wall.
- Cabinets and closets should be placed in South or West direction.
- Computer or laptop should be placed in the North direction.
The place where one eats must be constructed with care and precision. By following the basic principles of Vastu Shastra these units can be constructed.
- While taking food, the head of the family should sit facing the east. Others can sit facing the east, the west or the north. However, nobody should sit facing the south. If it is done, unnecessary quarrels take place.
- The dinning table should not be round shaped, egg shaped, hexagonal or of irregular shape. It should be square or rectangular in shape. Do not attach or fold it with the wall.
- Both the kitchen and the dining hall should be on the same floor. So if the kitchen is on the ground floor, the dining hall should also be on the ground floor.
- Keep a mirror reflecting a dining table. It indicates double prosperity.
- When you have a mirror reflecting a dining table, it symbolically doubles your prosperity.
- The wood table indicates growth and ranks first while selecting a dining table. It is believed that it promotes better communication and a good appetite.
The drawing room is the gathering place where we socialize with our relatives, friends and other guests. Here we also spend our leisure time with our family important living room Vastu tips, apply them to create harmony in your life.watching TV or having discussions or doing some activities. Here are some
- Drawing Room should be in the east or north so one can get the morning sunlight and positive vibrations.
- The sitting arrangement of the head of the family should be facing the east or in the north
- The heavy articles of furniture or decoration should be in the west or the south direction because weight is the element of Southwest
- As far as possible TV should be in the southeast portion of the drawing room as all electrical gadgets should be in SE quadrant, the fire zone.
- The portraits of the God or waterfalls are hung in the northeast
- Furniture of this room should not be circular, triangular, egg shaped hexagonal or odd shapes. It should be square or rectangular.
- Center table can be in the shape of square, rectangle or even round.
- Avoid placing L shape sofa in your drawing room.
Kitchen is the most important place in the house. So one must design the kitchen according to the Vaastu Shastra Principles. According to Kitchen Vastu tips the ideal place to construct the kitchen is the South east. As the South east is governed by the Fire element. So to get the maximum benefits of fire element you must have a Kitchen in South east, which also a primary factor in General health and well being of the habitants.
- Stove or gas burner should be in the south-east cornet a few inches away from the wall.
- The kitchen should be in the south-east comer of the main building or flat.
- The washbasin (sink) of the platform should be in the north-east corner as far as possible. Drinking water should be in the north-east or the north side.
- Essential commodities like boxes of grain, spices, pulses, etc. should be in the south or the west direction.
- Light weight articles can be kept in the east or the north.
- Mezzanine floor in the kitchen should be in the west or the south.
- While cooking, the face should be towards the east.
- Position of door in the kitchen should be in the north, east or in the north-east corner of the Kitchen. It should also open clockwise direction.
- Exhaust fans in the eastern walls in the Southeast corner.
The planning and design of your garden can have a significant effect on your mood, health, and prosperity. Vastu can be of immense help in tapping such natural beauty and its energizing qualities.
- Some auspicious Vastu tips for garden are as follows:
- Garden, lawns or decorative plants should always be in the east or the north direction. A waterfall of three to four feet can be constructed in the east or north direction.
- You can keep decorative plants in a garden, but they should not be more than three feet tall
- If you want to keep swings in your garden, they should be placed in the east or the north.
- Avoid thorny plants in the compound of house which may be unlucky
- Avoid milky trees within the four walls of the compound, which may leads to unhealthiness to family members
- For one and another reason always avoid Cactus and thorny plants inside the four walls of compound
- Try to have a Holy Basil (Tulsi) plantwithin the confines of your home. This plant positively affects many aspects of your home life.
- If you have a pathway in the garden, then plant jasmines on either side because they’re considered very auspicious.
According to Vastu Shastra, the main door of a home is not only the entry point for the family but also for energy. According to Vastu, the main door or entrance (main gate) has been accorded prime importance as it lets in or keeps out the vital life-giving force that promotes Health, Wealth, Harmony, and also good Luck.
Vastu Entrance gate should be heavier, stronger and bigger than other doors of house.
- Keep the entrance clutter free and tidy to make the surrounding positive.
- Entrance should never be dark and ensure that this place is well lit throughout.
- Avoid keeping garbage or dustbin near the entrance.
- Main should not make any creaky noise.
- Main gate should never face intersecting roads.
- Avoid placing a shoe rack or dustbin outside the main door.
- There shouldn’t be a bathroom near the main door.
- Ensure the main entrance is well lit.
- Avoid painting the main door black.
- Decorate your door with beautiful nameplates and auspicious torans.
- Avoid placing animal statues or figurines near the main door.
According to vastu, North east corner zone is best suitable for the prayer room or home temple. This is a place that brings us closer to our Creator. It can be considered lifting one’s mind and heart to God. Here we can talk to God about the everyday things of human life, about our joys and sorrows, our needs and wants, our disappointments and pleasures.
- Deity or image of God should be positioned in such a way that devotee faces east while praying the god. West is the second best location.
- Light or Diya can be placed in the southeast corner of the prayer room.
- Photographs (pictures) of the dead/ancestors should not be kept in the prayer room.
- Keep this room neat, clean and clutter free.
- This room should be strictly used for prayer and meditation.
- Due to a shortage of space, some house has small wall temple kept in the bedroom or kitchen. The small curtain should be placed in front when not in use.
- Temple should not share the wall of the toilet of the house.
- Crystal shankh or Black agate tortoise is a powerful symbol for career or business luck when kept in prayer zone
- You need to take time out of your day to reflect, meditate, and pray. Even spending a few minutes in prayer zone will bring inner strength to carry you through the high and low in your life.
- When you create a prayer space in your house, you are reminding of God’s presence at all the time
The storeroom is the place for junk things and the room should be such that it should not increase the junk things. If placed in wrong place, the number of junk things will increase and it can be permanent also.
Some essential guiding principles for store room according to Vastu are as follows:
- The store rooms should be placed in North-west portion of building as it is beneficial in terms of providing good provision of storage with minimal chances of shortage in grains.
- The colour chosen in store room should be tints of white, yellow or blue.
- Store annual stock of granary in South-west corner while daily use grains must be stored in North-west direction.
- Make sure if there is a provision of water in store room then it must be kept in pitchers or vessels.
- Things like oil, ghee, refined and gas cylinder etc should be stored in South-east corner of storage.
- Never sleep in storage room as the vibrations tends to obstruct people’s sleep.
HOW TO KNOW WE NEED VASTU SHASTRA HELP
- You are feeling depressed about the life in unusual materialistic reaction and disappointed with the things that happening around you.
- There are always fighting with spouse, without any reason. .
- Your parents previously visiting with happiness and joy, now they appear to be troublesome.
- Unexpected Increases in health problems in the family and disturbing you always. .
- Rapidly decrease in Career/ Business growth.
- Even having excellent performance there shows ordinary achievements.
- You picked up qualified business partner. Everything is fine on paper, still you are facing struggle because nothing seems to be working including your colleagues, it’s extremely because of the Vastu of your office / factory which is all defected.
- Your fortune begins sliding away and you entering in everlasting uncertainty. Before you make yourself a failure one, embrace with Vastu and think on that.